The USB drive isPreparing the Bootable usb drive is easy and straightforward and any of these 12 software can make your device ready within 5 minuets and 2 clicks.
Easy to create, erase and reuse.
Can install multiple OS on same USB at a time.
Faster booting and installation speed.
Portable and easy to handle.
Using the bootable USB for testing Live Linux OS, you can install temporary software.
Most of the Linux operating systems can be easily tested by creating a ‘Live’ disk which gives you a complete experience of the full operating system without installing anything on your hard disk.
Windows 7, 8.1 and now Windows 10 technical preview can be easily installed from bootable usb.
Rufus is a simple and easy to use. It automatically detects your usb drive and capacity so you can easily identify which device you are formatting.
- Select the target drive and select file system (For Windows keep it NTFS).
- You can give appropriate name to the resulting bootable drive.
- Locate the ISO image of your targeted operating system.
If you get any error, just uncheck ‘Create bootable disk’ option.
Rufus can be used to create bootable USB pendrive for All Windows versions and all Linux distros.
+ fast, easy, run without installation.
- Again a basic tool with minimum option. Just drag and drop your .ISO image or click on ‘drop ISO here’ icon.
- It will auto detect your USB media.
- Hit the ‘Do It’ button, WinToBootic will do the everything rest.
- Does not support Linux
It's all in one tool. Features come with cluttered interface. If you don't know what are you doing, don't use it. I personally do not recommend it if you want a simple bootable USB to install new operating system.
RMPrepUBS is specialized in creating multiple partition in a single USB drive. You can install multiple ISO of different OS or save user files along side of the bootable USB.The special feature of RMPrepUSB is you can create a partition in USB drive just like you do on your hard disk making it more useful for saving files plus using the same drive as a separate folder for storing files.
This keeps your files separate from the operating system files.
- For advanced users.
- Difficult to use
- Create ISO from usb drive.
- Edit the hard drive grub or syslinux boot loader.
- Test speed of the usb drive.
- Support all OS.
4. Universal USB Installer
Specialized tool for creating bootable live Linux OS. It has predefined list of most of the Linux distributions available. Give path of ISO image and USB flash drive you want to boot from. Prepare a Live antivirus rescue disk using it. A special option for this is also given for reuse CD.
+ Specialized menu for Linux, also support Window 7
Download Universal USB Installer
Yumi, short for Your Universal Multiboot Installer. YUMI allow you to prepare the bootable USB drive multiple operating system in one USB drive without formatting it.
YOu can download the ISO of your favorite OS. YUMI have large collection of free OS based on Linux and other free OS projects. Just select what you want and YUMI will give you the direct download link for it.
The inrface is quite easy to use and useful.
- This tool is an exact clone of Universal USB installer or you can also say Universal USB installer is a clone of UNetbootin.
- Create a bootable USB for any Linux distribution.
- If you are not using Windows as your host operating system, then UNetbootin is an option to go for. UNetbootin is available for Linux, iOS and Windows.
- So if you are using Linux, most of the software's listed here will not run where UNetbootin will come to help.
- Download UNetbootin
7. Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi)
LiLi is one more software used to make bootable usb. The special feature called built-in Vitalization allow users to run the installed Linux operating system without restarting the Windows which are an exclusive feature of LiLi.
If you are concerned only about Linux you must go for this.
Download LiLi Creator
8. WinSetUp From USB
This is also a tool for those who want to install multiple operating system on one USB device.
WinSetup From USB let you install Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 10, any Linux distribution.
When you prepare the USB drive using ‘WinSetup From USB’ you will be presented with the list of operating systems installed on the thumb drive and select the preferred operating system to boot from.
Though the interface is simple, non expert users may find it difficult to use.
Download WinSetUp From USB
9. WinUSB Maker
This is more that just a bootable USB creation tool, though you can use it for that also. This is a special tool that will allow you to clone hard disk partition on your portable memory device like USB thumb drive or portable hard disk.
WinUSB maker copies exact partition of your local hard disk along with the boot files and file structure. You can also restore the saved partition from the USB device to your hard disk making it useful as a backup tool. This is a must have tool for everyone. We have already discussed about this earlier here.
Download WinUSB Maker
This is more than just a bootable USB maker. You can create a rescue CD or a disk having multiple operating systems or tools like antivirus rescue CD. It combines multiple tools in ISO image making it more useful than just a USB creating tool. XBoot can create ISO image from files and then write these files to USB drive for booting or installation.
11. Windows Bootable Image Creator
This is a straight forward and ultra small tool that accomplishes its job as you expect. It has a super simple interface and minimum buttons to avoid confusion of new users. This is a tool from AskVG.
There are only basic buttons and only one task to do. Just create a bootable USB drive to install or try new operating systems. I wonder how it is so small and light. It is just 160KB in size.
Download Windows Bootable Image Creator
12. Other Tools
There are other tools like Novicorp WinToFlash, Passcape ISO Burner, Windows official USB disc creation tool, Ubuntu startup disc creator and Flash Boot.
- Novicorp WinToFlash is also a tool that will help you to recover deleted boot loader apart from creating a bootable flash drive.
- Passcape ISO burner is also a simple and small utility to create bootable USB drive.
- Windows official USB creation tool is an official tool to create a bootable USB drive to install downloaded Windows 7 and Windows 8 ISO images without burning it to traditional discs.
- The Ubuntu startup disc is also a tool for Linux fan boys.
- FlashBoot is a bit tool having around 24 MB is download size. It has more options than any other tool, but is actually a paid tool, but anyone can use it for free.
- If you want to try out Google Chromium Operating system, you have to use a recommended open source tool Image Writer for Windows. It is also a small but useful too without any garbage features. A simple and straight tool.
If you want an all in one, plain and simple tool to boot your Windows or Linux from USB pen drive, go for 'Rufus'.
- If you want a Linux Specialist, 'LiLi' is a good choice.
- 'WinSetup From USB' is for installing multiple OS in one USB drive and 'RMPrep USB' is for making partition in USB drive along with Windows.
- If you want to clone a complete partition with OS 'WinUSB Maker' is the best choice.
You can find the translated Russian version of the same post at: 12 лучших инструментов для создания загрузочных USB / Программное обеспечение для установки Windows 10