[Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 and Clover - Legacy or UEFI - Tutorials (The Genius Bar)
For those wanting to try Windows 10, I thought I would create a short guide on how to create a Clover/UEFI Windows 10 installer with Rufus and clean install. This guide is tailored for legacy BIOS machines but should also work in systems with native UEFI firmware.
Edit 29/7/15 RTM build 10240 available!: Download MediaCreationTool.
Making the UEFI Windows Installer
1. In Windows, Insert a 4GB or larger USB and start Rufus with the following settings
Rufus_UEFI Windows Installer.png 608.6KB 611 downloads
- Partition scheme and target system device = MBR for UEFI computer
- File System FAT32
2. Click the “Create a bootable disk using ISO image” checkbox and the CDROM icon to browse/choose your downloaded ISO
3. Click Start & OK to burn the image to the USB. Notice the USB takes on the name of the original ISO.
Rufus2.png 213.63KB 322 downloads
4. After the image has been burned to the USB, copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot. Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.
bootmgfw.efi in efi_microsoft_boot folder.png 178.22KB 535 downloads
- For Windows 7, you need to extract bootmgfw.efi from "install.wim" eg using 7-Zip, open the iso and navigate to \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy to efi\microsoft\boot on the USB.
Installing Legacy Clover (for legacy BIOS machines to boot the installer in UEFI mode)
1. Install Clover onto the USB drive (in OSX) with the “use alternative booting PBR” option ticked as shown below.
Alternative booting PBR.png 120.55KB 602 downloads
Note - you can also install legacy Clover onto the USB in Windows using the Bootice program - see post#23
2. Copy the config.plist, DSDT/SSDT.aml file(s) which are specific to your system into the Clover folder
- Put config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER directory
- Put DSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
- Put FakeSMC.kext and other kexts required in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.x (where x is your version of OSX)
Installation of Windows 10
1. Create free space on the target hard drive for Windows 10. This can be done in OSX using Disk Utility or in Windows with Disk Management/Diskpart.exe.
2. It is recommended to temporarily disconnect all hard drives except the target hard drive when installing or updating Windows 10.
3. Boot the computer with the Installer USB, pressing <F12> (or whatever your system’s BIOS boot selection key is) to choose the USB and then pressing the number <6> key when you see Clover’s flashing underscore
4. At the Clover Main Menu, choose “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from your_USB_name” ---> start the Windows 10 installer GUI
Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from Rufus Installer.png 242.24KB 351 downloads
5. Follow the rest of the steps in this guide - http://www.tenforums...an-install.html
Windows 10 Build 10074.png 1.28MB 203 downloads
Chameleon/Clover Emergency Boot Disk
As an added bonus, by adding the attached Chameleon boot file to the root of the USB, you can use the installer as an emergency boot disk for Clover or Chameleon:
Chameleon boot1.png 54.74KB 179 downloads
Set your BIOS to boot first from USB ---> when you see the flashing underscore, press <1> to boot with Chameleon or <6> to boot with Clover .