Gluten Free Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins | Ambitious Kitchen
I think I was born with a sweet tooth. A ravenous one that comes out late at night and encourages me to go straight to the cupboard. I can’t help it, I swear.
As I mentioned last week, I’m trying to cut back on my refined sweeteners so I’ve been limiting my treat options down quite a bit. I’ve kind of been trying to adapt a new mentality about really nourishing my body; this means I pick nutritious food over empty calorie or sugar-packed sweets. Sounds easy, but it can be actually quite challenging. Turning down french fries when you are in a relationship with ketchup is never fun and it’s even more difficult to say no to Reese’s Eggs this time of year.
Of course, everything in moderation. I’ll take a peanut-buttery egg or two every now and then! Overall I’m determined to be mindful of what I’m putting into my body plus how it will nourish and make me feel after I’ve eaten it.
So check out the ingredients that make up these brownie muffins:
Not pictured: Coffee (it adds depth and flavor)! And of course, chocolate chips (DUH)!
Mix everything up and you end up with black bean brownies. In muffin form.
Yep, I said it: Beans in your brownies. Brownie in a muffin. Totally a thing. Totally amazing.
Trust me… please?
These are my new favorite late night nibble. Lots of protein, fiber, iron, and good for you nutrients. Full of chocolate goodness.
FYI: It’s important to use a high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe.
If you make this recipe or anything else from Ambitious Kitchen, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creations! To keep up to date with posts and behind the scenes info, follow AK on BlogLovin’, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. xo!
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 159
- Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 4.8g
Recipe type: Muffins, Dessert, Healthy, Dairy Free
Protein and fiber packed flourless black bean brownie muffins! Taste like a cakey-delicious brownie except without all the guilt. No one can tell they're made with beans!
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs*
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (Grade B or C is best)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, optional to enhance chocolate flavor
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking liners and spray the inside of each liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place black beans and 1 egg in food processor and process until beans are well blended. Add two other eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and coffee; process again until smooth. Next add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; process once more until smooth. Next fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips evenly among the tops of each muffin batter. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffins comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Keep muffins for a day at room temperature, then transfer to fridge and place in an airtight container.
*Use 4 eggs instead of 3 if you'd like a more cake like consistency.